Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Toothless Grin


A couple of nights ago, about 5 min. after going to bed, Brynn came downstairs to show us that she FINALLY lost her first tooth! You would have thought it was Christmas morning…she was that excited. She said, “I was just laying there wiggling my tooth and it just came out! It didn’t even hurt!” I’m telling you, she has been waiting for this moment for probably a year now. She kept asking me when she was going to lose her first tooth. I kept telling her, “I don’t know, whenever it’s ready, I guess”. Aye, Aye, Aye she was making me CRAZY with this question! So I guess you could say that we were ALL very happy when it finally happened. As she was lying down in bed (again) she told me, “This is my best day ever! I can’t even wait until tomorrow so I can show my teacher and Brody (her cousin & best friend) and my friends!”

Here are some tidbits of our conversations that followed the next morning:
Me: Did you see what the tooth fairy left you?
Brynn: Yeah, I already saw it in the night.
Me: You did? Did you see or feel the tooth fairy?
Brynn: No, I didn’t even hear her wings.
Porter: I hear-d her! It sounded like a bee.
Me: Oh really? You heard the tooth fairy in your room?
Porter: Yeah.
Me: I guess maybe she went in there to check to see if you had any teeth for her.
Me: (to Brynn) So is this what you thought you would get?
Brynn: (slightly disappointed) No, I thought I would get a penny or something.

So, of course, I had to explain that a dollar is way better than a penny. And that it was more than I ever got when I was a kid. I guess that was enough to make her happy so she went on her way to get ready for school. But she just HAD to take her dollar to school to show everyone.

A few hours later…

After Brynn got home from school, she told me that she had lost her dollar at school. She was pretty devastated by it. She asked me if I could give her a dollar to replace it. I told her no because I wasn’t the one who lost it. But I also told her that maybe she should write a letter to the tooth fairy letting her know what happened and then just see what she does. She went straight to work. And that night, what do you know? The tooth fairy actually came back and read Brynn’s letter. And she even brought her another dollar. But this time she left a note at the bottom of Brynn’s letter:

The next morning…
Brynn: You didn’t write that (the note from the fairy).
Me: How do you know that?
Brynn: Because you don’t know how to write like that. You just know how to write like this (swirling her hands in a cursive motion).
Me: Cursive?
Brynn: Yeah!

Whew! Man, am I glad the tooth fairy remembered to change up her writing at the last minute after starting the note. But cursive? Where does she get that? My “normal” handwriting is print with just little bits of cursive interjected here and there. (By the way, do you like the BIG word…interjected? Makes me sound smart, eh?)
Congratulations, Brynn, on losing your first tooth! We're all so happy for you!

6 comments:

Samara said...

That tooth fairy is a pretty crafty character!

Jodi said...

Hurray! The toothfairy is so dang smart! It is quite exciting to have the first of many tooth experiences. Now both of our girls have a holy smile. Congrats Brynn!

Heather Collins said...

Yay Brynn! That is way exciting!

Melissa said...

How cute!! My youngest has his first loose tooth right now. Funny how excited we get over it. Getting your adult teeth is just such a huge stepping stone into "growing up" Can't wait til it falls out!
P.S. Her room is SO cute!

Amy said...

How cute! I've been telling Jordo that he'll be losing teeth soon. At first, he was horrified, but now he thinks its okay.

aliciamae100 said...

what a sweetheart! I love her "I'm sorry note" - definitely a keeper. now she owes the toothfairy a thank you note. ;)