Saturday, January 31, 2009

My Croupy Boy

Little did I know when I wrote that last post just HOW LONG that night was going to be. Porter's croupy cough was getting worse and none of my usual tricks were helping this time. He has been getting croup several times a year since he was 3 months old. I'm very familiar with all things croup related. I know that nights are the worst and that if we could just hold out for a few more hours, daytime would be here and things would be much better. However, this time was different. This time was worse. I could tell he was having a hard time breathing and I knew it was time to get help. So we decided it was time to take him to the hospital. Fortunately, they took him right in and started treatment right away. He sounded bad all morning, but at least he looked like he was breathing better.

Then, of course, he was sleeping a little better.

Around 6am, they started talking about sending him to another hospital to get checked in for observation. (They don't have a pediatric unit at this hospital so they couldn't check him in here.) This started worrying me. Not because of the condition they might have thought he was in, but because I knew that meant an expensive ride in an ambulance across the valley and then an expensive hospital stay. I tried to tell the doctor that I knew nights were the worst and that he should be fine during the day. And I also told him of my financial concern about the whole thing (knowing I just had Brooklyn in the hospital last week) and asked if we REALLY needed to have him checked in. (side note***He really was sounding much better so I didn't think he really needed it) I think all these questions and concerns really ticked off the doctor, you know, suggesting that I knew better than him. He told me that if we checked ourselves out, we would be going against doctors orders and could not hold them liable if something happens. Then the nurse came in and told us that the insurance would probably not cover the E.R. visit if we did that. She also told us that insurance would HAVE to pay for the ambulance ride since they couldn't admit him there. I guess our decision was made for us. So off to the other hospital we go!


When I told Porter in the E.R. that morning that he was going to have to go to another hospital and probably spend the night he asked, "Will I get to see the dogs?" (Remember, Brooklyn had therapy dogs visit her while she was in the hospital last week.) Well, let's just say he was more than disappointed when all he got was a couple of old clowns! (Although, I thought they were totally cute!)


I was pretty proud of him and how patient he was with the whole experience. I know he was getting bored and really wanted to go home, but he didn't complain too much. At least there was a playroom there for him to play in.
I was relieved when the doctor at the new hospital came in a few hours after getting there and told us that he didn't see any reason why we needed to stay. (HELLO!! That's what I tried to tell the other doctor!) So an hour or so later we were released to go home. Yippee! Porter was so excited to go that he started ripping off the little finger monitor and face mask and getting his shoes and jacket on. Little did he know that he'd still have to wait another 30min. or so for Dane to come pick us up.

As I suspected, that night was much better than the previous one. We both slept much better and he's now doing just fine.
Oh, and a little side note on Brooklyn...she's doing FANTASTIC! She's eating, drinking and even talking now. Yay!!!
P.S. I'm so sorry this is such a long post, but I consider this sort of my journal and wanted to get it all in. Thanks for sharing it with me!

4 comments:

Samara said...

He's adorable. Especially the picture of him sleeping! He's going to hate you for taking that one when he's older. :)

Mandy said...

What a cutie! Man, doctors can be such dorks! Good for you for speaking up!

Renee said...

Man, Jen when it rains it pours for you guys. I hate to see how sick he was. I am glad to share anything with you.I love reading your posts. I hope you all will be better soon enough to get back on track as a family. Love ya!

aliciamae100 said...

Poor little guy! I'm glad he's feeling better. Don't even get me started on the insurance... I love your blog, Jen!! *The daddy diaper changing kit is priceless, by the way.* Love it!