Sunday, June 27, 2010

It's a Campout Party!

O.k., so I finally have a minute to sit down and catch up just a little. Man, this has been quite the whirlwind month! Before I could recoup from Brooklyn's party, it was time to party again. Fortunately for me, Brynn is so easy going with this stuff that it doesn't take much to make her happy (as far as parties go anyway). And I guess I have to say that Brooklyn would have been happy with a more simple party also, but I just felt the need to go all out with hers. No, it's not favorites, it just happened to be her turn this time.

So anyway, she chose an indoor camp out theme since she wasn't able to go on the daddy/daughter camp out the week before because Dane had to work. Of course, you have to start with invitations...
I can't take credit for the cute poem. My mom is always the go-to gal for poems around here. She never fails me. Yeah, I love her!
I found this cute digital scrapbooking template online and just thought it was cute. That's all the explanation I have for that.
The Party Details:
Dinner: roasted hot dogs, chips, olives, watermelon, crackers, & cheese cubes all on Toy Story 3 plates and napkins, naturally.

***little side note*** I wanted to include Brynn in all the party details so while we were at the store, rather than getting the "camping" type plates, etc. I let her pick out whatever she wanted. So that's why we have Toy Story plates. She originally chose Phineas and Ferb napkins to go with them, but I had to draw the line somewhere. I mean, there had to be SOME cohesiveness to this stuff, right? Well, the next day I was feeling guilty about making her settle on Toy Story napkins so I went and bought Phineas & Ferb napkins to use for the dessert. Here's our conversation when I got home and showed them to her:

Brynn: "Why'd you get those?"
Me: "Because you wanted them."
Brynn: "I was o.k. with what we got. I didn't really care."

Oh well, at least I tried, right?

Dessert: a campfire brownie with Twix for logs and fruit roll-ups for flames, s'mores, a chocolate fountain, and lots of candy junk
The girls were so full of candy and junk after dinner that they didn't even want to do the whole blow-out-the-candles-on-the-cake thing. Mental note: DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT have that much candy and junk for them to eat at a slumber party again. It sours their stomaches and also makes for a VERY LONG sugar high.

Activities: Singing songs around the campire (which I think only the adults actually liked), opening presents, random playing, watching a movie, playing with Mad Libs (you know, the game where you fill in the blanks with nouns, verbs, adjectives, and so forth and then read the story), and giggling ALL NIGHT long.

It was so funny to watch how quickly the Mad Libs caught on. It started with a couple of girls who were trying to figure them out while the others were watching a movie. They were doing them all wrong so I had to show them how it was done. When I read it back to them they were laughing so loud that the other girls all gathered around to see what was going on. Then, after explaining it to the rest of the group, they started working on them in pairs, groups, and individuals for the next 1 1/2 to 2 hours. By then it was the middle of the night and they were getting really slap-happy. Every other blank spot was turning into something either poop or fart related. Their moms will probably never let them come back again.

Goodie Bags: I found some canvas backpacks on clearance at Michaels and ironed on their initial to the front. Then I filled them with a pillowcase with their initial on it, flashlight, Mad Libs game, pen & candy bracelet.

It was a really fun and really LONG night. I finally crashed around 2 a.m. and told the last three die-hards to talk quietly until they fell asleep. I think everyone had a good time and we finally got around to doing the blow-out-the-candles-on-the-cake thing the next morning after breakfast. Good times, good times!

(As always, you can click on the photos to see them larger.)

7 comments:

Ondrea said...

Kelsey had the BEST time! Thanks for inviting her. YOu rock, Jen. Someday I might be cool like you (hmmm, probably not)...

Kelly Inman said...

Wow! You're the best mom ever! My poor children get such lame parties.

Natalie said...

HOLY COW!!! I can't imagine having the energy (or even desire somedays) to do all that! You are just amazing. Your family is so lucky to have you! :)

Melissa said...

You are simply AMAZING! I love your ideas...SO creative. Thanks for sharing, I might have to "steal."
Your kiddos will have GREAT memories of how you made their special day EXTRA special!! That makes all the hard work & preparation all worth it!

DeAnna said...

Definitely going to be consulting with you on any and all future parties....You are the BOMB!~! :-)

aliciamae100 said...

Those invites are the cuteest invites I have ever seen. Seriously! And cake after breakfast? You KNOW it was a good party if there was no time for cake the night before! :)

Natalie said...

You must be SUPER busy creating even MORE goodies to share! Can't wait for you to post and share them with all of us!! ;)